Monday, February 03, 2014

Film by Eastern Kentucky newspaper editor explores successes, shortcomings of War on Poverty

Ralph B. Davis
Fifty years ago President Lyndon Johnson visited Eastern Kentucky and declared a War on Poverty. So how do Appalachian residents feel that war has gone? A documentary gets right to the heart of the matter, asking "leading Appalachian residents their opinions about the successes and shortcomings of the War on Poverty as well as their thoughts on how to win that war by the year 2050," The Courier-Journal reports.

"Appalachia 2050" is the brainchild of Ralph B. Davis, who knows a thing or two about Appalachia, as the longtime editor of the Floyd County Times in Prestonsburg. “Having lived and worked in Eastern Kentucky my entire life, it dawned on me one day that no one had ever asked me or anyone I know what we want to see Appalachia become,” Davis told the Louisville newspaper. “I found that unusual, considering there has been this half-century effort to ‘fix’ our region. With so much time and money spent looking for answers, I felt it would only be appropriate to ask the people who live in the region what result they want to see come out of all this. I started thinking, ‘Someone should film a documentary about this,’ and then I finally decided to do it myself.” (Read more)

The documentary will be screened at 7 p.m. Friday at the Clifton Center in Louisville. A $5 donation for Kentuckians for the Commonwealth will be requested at the door. After the screening, Davis will answer questions. To view the documentary, click below, or visit Davis's website.
Middle frame of video: John and Jean Rosenberg of Prestonsburg, longtime education and social-justice activists

No comments: